• 21 July 2017
Logo

National Institute of
Natural Sciences (NINS)

History

You are at Home » About Us » History

Unlike the prominent National and International Museums, NINS has also its precious history. In the year 1956 A.D. , “Oohi” Govinda Bahadur Gurung, a prominent taxidermist, artist and naturalist, recognized a private museum to store his collection of birds, mammals and reptiles specimens. Later on to foster his knowledge of taxidermy art and collections with interested researchers in wildlife conservation, he established officially his small museum named Himalayan Fauna Emporium on May 2, 1963 as a research institute under the Ministry of Industry Commerce and supplies, Government of Nepal. After the death of Oohi Gurung, it was gifted to the Oohi Govinda Bahadur Gurung Trust and it was renamed as the National Institute of Natural Sciences (NINS) in June 11, 2008 under the advocacy of secretarial decision, Government of Nepal and Jurisdiction of Kathmandu District Administration Office, Ministry of Home, Nepal.

Get Involved

Get Involved The NINS preserved thousands of zoological botanical, archeological specimens not only for visitors. Behind the doors of its historical meaning, the museum hoBehind the doors of its historical meaning, the museum ho used these specimens Read More

Follow Us on Facebook



Website Designed By: NWF

Contact Us

Birendra Margh- 68, Ghattekulo- 32

+977 1 4770604, 4771544

+977-1-4771544

info@nins.edu.np

© 2015 NINS, all rights reseved.